For the first round auditions, you will be asked to play a set piece specified by the examiners (an accompanist or other instrumentalist will be provided as required - you are not permitted to bring your own accompanist). You may also be required to do some sight-reading.
If successful at the first round auditions, candidates will be invited back to the second round auditions. At second round auditions candidates will be placed in chamber groups with other candidates and are required to play set pieces of chamber repertoire.
Round 1 Individual Pieces 2017
- Flute - Enescu Cantabile et Presto for flute and piano
- Oboe - Grovlez Sarabande et Allegro
- Clarinet - Saint-Saëns Sonata for clarinet and piano in E-flat major, op.167, mvts 1 and 2
- Bassoon - Dutilleux Sarabande and Cortège
- Violin – Brahms violin sonata in G major first movement
- Viola - Hummel Fantasie Op.94.
- Cello - Schumann Stucke im Volkston No.1
- Double bass – Bottesini: Elegy in D major
- Piano – Beethoven: opus 69 A major cello sonata first movement
- Harp – Pierne: Impromptu-Caprice opus 9
- Horn - Saint-Saëns: Morceau de concert, op. 94
- Trumpet - Malcolm Arnold: Fantasy for Trumpet
- Trombone - Malcolm Arnold: Fantasy for Trombone
- Tuba - Malcolm Arnold: Fantasy for Tuba
Round 2 Ensemble Pieces 2017
Brass players may be required to play in second round groups but are
not required to prepare any repertoire in advance
- WIND QUINTET Paul Paterson's Westerly Winds: 1 Scrumpy Giles, 3 Lazy Lawrence
- STRING QUARTET Beethoven: op.18 no. 4 in C minor, 1st movement
- PIANO TRIO Beethoven Piano Beethoven Ghost opus 70 number 1 first movement