skip to primary navigationskip to content

Immigration and Visa Requirements

IMPORTANT: Please note that it is the Visiting Academic's responsibility to deal with immigration, visas and family issues.


Visiting scholars are required to make sure they have an appropriate visa to enter the country. The Department is not involved in this process.

If you require a visa to come to the UK you must first check the website of the UK Border Agency for information regarding your situation. It should be possible for visiting scholars from non EEA countries to apply for entry clearance as an Academic Visitor upon receipt of a letter of invitation from the Faculty of Music. It is however advisable to make enquiries before any travel arrangements are made. Further information for non EEA visitors can be found on the HR website.  Please note visiting students should not use this entry route.


Visiting students are required to make sure they have an appropriate visa. You do not need a visa to study at Cambridge if you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. If you are a national of any other country, you will need to obtain a visa before you can study at Cambridge. There are only two visa routes available to you, Tier 4 and Short-Term Study visa, these depend on the duration of your visit. For further advice on this matter please visit the University’s International Student Website

If you will be present at Cambridge as a visiting student for more than 6 months then you will require a Tier 4 visa. As your sponsor, the University will need to provide you with a CAS number (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies number). This can be done via the and the sponsoring academic.