skip to content

This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of funding sources in musicology. It includes only small grants for research and travel purposes and does not include funding for your course of studies or fieldwork expenses. Always check the website of the appropriate organization for the most up-to-date application and deadline information on each award.

Faculty Funding
College Funding
Other University Funding

External Funding

If you need any assistance or have questions about your application, please contact the Postgraduate Administrator().

Faculty of Music Funding for Research/Research-Related Travel

The Faculty Board of Music has a limited amount of money available to support the research activities of postgraduate students. Please find below a few notes that might help you in making an application for funding. If you need any assistance or have questions about your particular application, please contact the Faculty Manager at .

As funds are limited, you are advised to apply for funding in support of your project from all available sources as it would be unusual for Faculty funds to cover 100% of project costs.  Please note that the Faculty Board will not normally consider retrospective applications, so if you think that there is a possibility that you may wish to travel you should submit an application – it can always be withdrawn.

Application Process

  1. If you wish to apply for funding, please download and complete an application form in full, applications should be typewritten.
  2. Arrange for a short (a paragraph or so is sufficient) supporting statement from your supervisor in support of your project (this should be sent directly to separately from your application).
  3. Your application must be submitted by email to:
  4. Your application will be assessed by the Faculty’s Standing Committee which meets regularly througough the year.  Please note that if your application is received after the end of Easter term, there may be a significant delay before this can be considered.
  5. You will be advised of the Standing Committee’s decision as quickly as possible after the meeting. If your application is successful, you will be required to submit an expenses claim with proof of agreed expenditure (e.g. copies of travel receipts/conference fees etc) and will be issued a cheque to reimburse your approved expenses.

College Funding 

Application procedures vary by college. Please see your college website or contact your college postgraduate administrator for details.

Other University Funding

The University administers a small number of Travel Awards directly with application deadlines in Lent Term.  You can also search the University's database of internal (including Colleges) funding opportunities: The Cambridge Funding Search.

The University’s Arts, Humanities and Social Science Research Group also provides helpful information about funding and other resources for research students, including feedback from successful applicants and Research Facilitators and information about technical support.

External Funding

Music Analysis Development Fund Grant
Support for travel and subsistence to attend conferences abroad, to consult library and archival resources, or to pursue other comparable research activities. Also provides support for the acquisition of microfilms or photocopies of sources, or assistance with the preparation of material for publication. Applications should include a brief description of the project and its relevance to music analysis, details of any other funding applications made, and a supervisor’s reference.

Music & Letters Trust Award
Support for the obtaining of research materials, editorial costs, and expenses for research trips and conference attendance. Applications should include a project description, budget, details of any funding applications to other sources, and two reference letters. The Trust frequently funds projects on a shared basis and may make a provisional award pending the outcome of another funding application. It may also choose to award only a proportion of the amount requested. Applicants are eligible to receive funding from the Trust only once every two years. Applicants should note the the Trust applies strict deadlines for the receipt of applications.

Royal Musical Association Student Research Grant
For student members of the RMA or members of RMA student groups. Typical expenses might include microfilm and photocopying costs, travel, and accommodation expenses for research away from home or for giving papers at conferences. Applications consist of a curriculum vitae, project description and budget, and letter of support from the supervisor.

Musica Britannica Louise Dyer Award
Support for postgraduate research students researching British music. Preference will normally be given to those working for a doctorate. Awards are given for any necessary research expenditure, such as the purchase of books, music, or microfilms, or essential travel. They are not available for computer equipment, ordinary maintenance, or conference expenses. Applications should include a completed application form and a supervisor’s reference.

The Society for Education, Music and Psychology Research (sempre)
sempre is the only society which embraces research in both music education and music psychology, providing an international forum to encourage the exchange of ideas and to disseminate research findings. Sempre will provide student bursary funding for certain conferences.